Available for: iOS/Android App + Web Reader
In This Issue
- WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT VISITING THE MAASAI MARA IN KENYA
- A comprehensive overview of all the things any serious high-end travel photographer will want to know, in one organized place, to help prepare for a photo trip to the Maasai Mara region of Kenya.
Including sections about: how to get there, the weather, when to go and how the season you choose affects your photo trip. A quick explanation of the local currency, the people and culture, the types of wildlife you can photograph, the meaning of cultural tourism etc. This issue covers everything a travel photographer should think about before you book your high end safari.
- A COMPLETE INSIDER'S LOOK AT AN EXOTIC PHOTO SAFARI WITH THE UBER TALENTED KEVIN PEPPER
- If you’ve ever wondered what it’s really like to travel with a world renowned bird and wildlife photographer on safari, here’s your chance to find out. A day by day account of what actually goes on during a guided photo safari with one of the best wildlife shooters leading trips today.
Kevin is a world-class guide and a patient teacher if you want help. Includes pro tips to keep in mind and ensure that you come home with truly great images.
- OUR FEATURED PRO – AMY SHUTT’S PHOTOS OF WILDLIFE IN THE MAASAI MARA WILL INSPIRE YOU!
- Internationally acclaimed wildlife photography award winner Amy Shutt's beautiful photos are presented along with a Q&A about her background, her influences and her ideas about what makes a great photo.
- DO YOU LOVE FOXES? THEN YOU WILL LOVE SHOOTING FOR GOOD – THE CANID PROJECT by Amy Shutt and the Canid Project
- A wildlife photographer's project to educate people about foxes and other canids through visual storytelling, creative narrative, tourism and community outreach. And some great photos of foxes too!
- IMAGINE YOURSELF TAKING THESE PHOTOS – THE AMATEUR'S JOURNAL by Nina Bataller
- Our featured amateur photographer’s experience of photographing in the Maasai Mara National Park and nearby Narok Conservancy will inspire you. She shows you the kind of pictures you too can come home with so you can go beyond just taking snapshots and begin to create and tell the kind of legacy-worthy stories you can share with your family and friends.
- VOLUNTEER AND COMMUNITY PROJECTS YOU CAN HELP SUPPORT – CHANGE FOR THE GOOD
- by Nina Bataller, Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, African Impact and The Unstoppable Foundation
Recommended organizations in Kenya you can support that provide needed help to the people and the wildlife in the Maasai communities.
- ASK WENDY PERRIN, THE TRAVEL WHISPERER of WendyPerrin.com – What Type of Camera Should I Take on Safari? by Wendy Perrin and Tim Baker
- A comprehensive overview of the different kinds of reasonably priced cameras to buy for an African safari. You could also call this "How to choose a great camera to give to your kids for your family safari.”
Tim Baker has photographed news, features, travel, sports, corporate reports, advertising, and portfolio fashion for a wide range of U.S. and international clients and publications. These projects and his keen interest in travel have taken him to 80 countries on all seven continents—including Antarctica, where he spent five months as an expedition photographer for Greenpeace and Fiji, where he lived on a 90-foot-yacht as a photo instructor for the owner and crew. His most recent videography assignments have been for Conde Nast Traveler, filming behind the scenes at the haute couture fashion shows in Paris, Mayan ruins in Guatemala, and safari lodges in South Africa.
- THE FINE ART OF PRESENTATION by Nina Bataller CPF GCF
- Forty years of owning one of the top picture frame shops in the US has given Nina a unique view of how to present art. Also a lifelong worldwide travel photographer based in the Hamptons, Nina has a deep understanding of how to create and present your photos.
This article is the first in a series that will be a great help to photographers who know more about cameras than they do about art. She’ll teach you how to make better photos, how to prepare before your trip so you will take better photos when you’re away and how to tell legacy-worthy stories with your photos once you’re back home. Nina will share with you the fine art part that most teachers don’t even know themselves, and soon your photos will go from nice to WOW!
- MEET OUR TECHNICAL PRO: KEN ROCKWELL By Ken Rockwell
- The fascinating story behind the legend. Long considered by anyone looking for the best advice about how to buy a high end piece of camera equipment, Rockwell is the recognized authority amongst most working professional photographers. Who he is and how he came to create KenRockwell.com is a fun read along with a look at a varied selection of some of his favorite photos.
- PRO TIPS – EQUIPMENT REVIEW – THE PERFECT LENS FOR YOUR SAFARI by Ken Rockwell
- An in-depth examination of the perfect lens to take on safari. It’s a strong, fast, sharp lens that is great for portraits, wildlife and the kind of cultural experiences you will only ever have in the Maasai Mara and the surrounding conservancies.
- TOURS AND RESOURCES– GO WITH A PRO
- Our curated list of some of the world’s top photographers who can lead you to a fabulous experience in Kenya or beyond. These photo pros take great shots, have long histories of leading top shelf trips, and they are all particularly awesome at working with very small groups of photographers to ensure everyone goes home with seriously amazing photos. Whether you are a beginner looking for guidance and one-on-one help, or you just want to hang out with like-minded shooters, you will find a photo guide to suit your preference in our hand picked list of the best of the best.
- PRIVATE JET? EXCEPTIONAL SAFARI EXPERIENCES
- The definitive list of the 'best of the best' bespoke travel companies. Whether you fly private or not, anyone chosen from this list of the finest custom travel companies in the world can assemble any trip you want and ensure you have an off-the-chart safari experience.
- THINGS TO DO AND PACK by Nina Bataller
- A thorough list of all the things you can do to prepare before you go away, and a comprehensive list of the things to pack and bring with you on safari, so you can come home with the best pictures ever!
- FOR THE ARMCHAIR SAFARI TRAVELER IN YOU
- Some recommended reading and viewing before you go on safari, or in case you just want to stay home and dream about going...
- FEATURED INSTAGRAMMER – DANIEL ROSENGREN
- Sir David Attenborough said this about Daniel’s photo used to promote BBC Earth's new series The Hunt, "The visual is always more powerful than the words.”
Published by National Geographic, BBC and many others,
our featured Instagram safari photographer lived for five years in the African bush researching and becoming intimately acquainted with 300 wild lions. You don’t want to miss his stunning photos. We can’t wait to introduce you to him!
Available for: iOS/Android App + Web Reader
About Photo Authority
Photo Authority Magazine is an in-depth resource for world-class travelers who love adventure.
It's created for people who understand and appreciate how photos not only help us to better remember our travels and important life experiences, but also how photos make it easier to share the stories of our lives with our closest inner circle of family and friends.
Each issue focuses on a specific place to visit that has exceptional opportunities for taking great photographs while providing thoughtful and well researched destination-specific resources. Best hotel in the area? Check. Best wine list? Top meals? Check and check! Our experts have you covered.
Photo Authority Magazine offers expert level insight into all the things you want to know about a place even if you are just thinking of going there someday.
You'll find its contents are timely and timeless. The Photo Authority Magazine app is designed to be kept on your tablet or smartphone for when the time is right, be it now or several years in the future, when you're planning a trip or just looking for ideas.
Content includes insights on the culture being visited, the equipment pertinent to environmental and other conditions as well as curated lists of the top photography teachers who lead small groups. You'll find commentary about optimal photography locations, tips and strategies.
And, you'll also find lists of the world's best travel companies that are well established in the region.
And then there are the photos.
In each issue you'll discover tons of stunning photos to give you inspiration and show you what you can come home with, even if all you have is a smartphone.
You'll get insight on who the top notch Instagrammers are... those whose photos of the area will stop you in your tracks. Plus, you'll also find at least one location-pertinent, detailed article to help you with your photos by our Tech Editor, world-famous reviewer Ken Rockwell.
Photo Authority Magazine is available in the Apple App Store & Google Play Store and is also distributed through a network of photography workshop and tour leaders around the world.
Category: Arts & Photography, Education, Lifestyle, Travel & Destinations, Entertainment
Publisher: Photo Authority
Compatibility: iOS/Android App + Web Reader
Tap images to enlarge...
Tap below for more from Photo Authority